Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 1 - The Odyssey Begins

So my Daugther comes home last week from school with a piece of paper telling her 4th grade class is celebrating Gold Rush Day, May 28th. They are looking for donations and help from the parents. DD1 tells me she wants to dress for the day, so now begins our current project- make pioneer clothing for her and myself for the day. Since we've been talking to some friends about joining them for an re-enactment group thing for the old west, these would work for that as well, so I thought if we put a little effort into it, we can kill 2 birds with one stone.....

So after scanning the internet for ideas of Gold Rush wardrobe, I didn't actually find a lot. I'll find tons on civil war era, but not gold rush so much. I think if I am for civil war but omit the hoop, I'll be in the ball park. I did find a site that had some brillant ideas about the petticoat and drawers for the ladies. I went out this morning with this info foremost on my mind.


Here I have (#1)The beige floral calico pillow cases (2) I'll use for her drawers. (#2) The blue striped pillow cases (2) I'll use for my drawers. (#3) The small blue plaid I'll use for my dress (#4) the blue dust ruffle for my petticoat, (#5) the white dust ruffle I got for her, but now I'm not so sure I'll use it. It would make a great white petticoat, but I wasn't planning on making her dress floor length, and as it is right now, it would be long...besides, I was going to use a different beige calico (currently in the laundry getting prewashed) for her dress. It was something I had in my fabric stash for years. It would lean towards an off white petticoat made of unbleached muslin more then a bleached white-white petticoat. I may just hold on to this for now... or make it up and wear it too. If one petticoat is nice, two should be awesome...am I right?

I figure we need blouse, skirt, petticoat, drawers, and bonnet. I have roughly 2 weeks to do what I can. I can see DD1 and I hav different ideas about what to do, so what I start out to do and what I actually do will be 2 different things.

Unfortunately I have dance class and GS meeting tonight, so don't know how much more I'll be able to work on this today. I'll have to let you know tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

No comments: