Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Rounding Third


I've rounded the third corner, and heading for the fourth. I can see progress ( well, actually I don't see progess as much as I feel the needle holding all the stitches getting lighter). This will be a big shawl when done. Pretty AND big. I can't wait until I block the bugger.




And, of course I was bad. I started another side (smaller) project. Something portable to take easily in my purse. Just a sock - fat free snack for when I hunger for something to do and I can't take the shawl 'cause it's too big to lug around much. It's a Monkey sock.

I want to purfect my socking skills, so I thought I would try out some yarn that I Navajo plied to get the thickness I thought I needed. It seems to be working out well for me. I'll know better once the sock is done. I tried this yarn just doubled up, but the resulting sock was/is too thin. The yarn was labeled as sock yarn ( must have meant for sock knitting machine), I use it mostly for shawls. I do like how it's turning out. I am hopeful this will be a keeper.

The blue ball next to it, was some handspun I did last year. I was looking for sock yarn in my stash and found this. I think it will be ok as well. I found another pattern I want try using this with. I actually tried a sock with it last year ( soon after I spun it), but I didn't like how it was turning out. So I am trying again, but with a different pattern and a different needle size. I am such a loose knitter, that I am using a size 2.0mm/US 0, and the gauge is looking good. funny how natural these needles feel in my hands, and size 2.5mm/#2 feel huge. Amazing what you get use to in a short amount of time.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Wow, that shawl is beautiful AND big. You can never have too many projects OTN. I love all those duckies in the previous post. And, thank you so much for the birthday wish. :)