Thursday, July 5, 2007

Happy Birthday

No, not mine. Happy Birthday America. A whopping 231 yrs. Wow, the big 2-3-1.

We had a relatively quite 4th, stayed at home with the family, played in the water, cooked a little, and knitted. I didn't finish anything really, mostly playing with a bunny buddie. I've seen some cute bunnies on the internet, and thoought maybe I could come up with something on my own. I have the 2 legs and body done. I will try to start the arms later today when I get home. It's quite fasinating to try and construct the body. I have a picture in my mind, and now I'm just trying to eek that image out my fingertips to my needles.

I have hit a stumbling block on the fingerless gloves I was working on for the mittenskal for June. I have one done (I will post pictures later today when I get home), but I'm not sure I like how the fingers are. Now I know what your thinking..."what fingers? This is FINGER-LESS. As in NO fingers. Well the palm covering comes down to about the first knuckle. When you use your hand, the finger bridges inside the mitten, pull pull on the outer fabric and I don't like how that looks. It puts dimple where I don't think they belong. Short of leaving them out, I'm not sure there's anything that an be done. I am currently about half way done with the second one, maybe'll try it out w/o the bridges, to see how it feels/wears. If they seem fine without, I may go back and remove.

The wool I'm using for them is some millends from Sheep Studio. It was a small clump in the bag of mixed roving. I love the burgandy colr, and alway thought it would make beauty fingerless gloves for my friend(don't know why she alway came to mind in regards to this wool. She really favors greens, not burgnady). Which now makes me think again about those dimples, if I really don't like them, it ultimately doesn't matter if I give them away....right?

Progress on the Mystery Shawl 3 has stalled. I was doing good for the first 3-1/2 weeks of the project, keeping up and all. Then something happened...ran out of balled yarn or some small crisis, and came to a skidding halt. I haven't been real interested in finishing. I want to get back at it, maybe I just need to push myself a little to get it done. From the finsihed pics I've seen, may need a little extra repeats somewhere to enlarge slightly, but I haven't decided where yet. This one also has a beaded edge option...which could be a nice technique to try. I've always kind of steered away from beading, not wanting to get to involved in that(I have enough small objects - toys, scattered around my house to where I don't need more).


I was trying to get back into the sock knitting, so I revisited the Six-Sock KAL, and started the sock for June - a Lace Victorian design. I am using Lisa Souza, laces weight in Buttercup, double strand. It is such a soft yellow. I don't care much for the color, but it was a great thirt store find, and this sock called for such a delicate yarn. I had started it with some denim blue handspun, but it just looked bulky. I found this stuff in my stash, and thought it would be a better match for the project. I have the first one done, and about half way thru the second. I hope to finish these up here soon. This is a small enough project that I can often work on while walking home....in the heat...along busy streets....UGH!

I want to work on a "Red Scarf Project", and rolling several idea thru my head for this. Needs to be unisex, and red. Hmmmm. I can feel an idea coming on, but still planning while trying to finish up a few on these current projects.

Happy Knitting

No comments: